Cylinder reaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder reaming

Anyone ever done it? I grabbed a bore gauge at the shop and shocked to find out all of the cylinders on my 686 were undersized. Some even down to .345.

my kit came in from brownells yesterday so i had to give it a go. I was flabbergasted. Check the pic out for yourself. If this tightens my grouping even a fraction it will be money well spent!

ETA: that is chamber number 1 which micd at .355Click image for larger version  Name:	20210521_165828.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	157756
    Last edited by Eyecyou; 05-22-2021, 05:38 AM.
    "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Wow

that is a shocker.

I had 1 chamber on my Vaquero that was tight. Factory ammo fell in easily, on the other 5, but that 1, I had to push it in.

Never measured it, though.

Since it was .45 Colt, I put a .410 shotgun swab in the drill press and put a dab of polishing compound on it.

Took 2-3 times of polishing for a minute, then drop a cartridge in to check fit.

As soon as it dropped in smoothly, I called it good.
    " most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Comment

Couple of things. Revolver chambers like rifle chambers should be tight, not sticky tight but tight..that’s something custom rifle builders do, to increase accuracy.

Your revolver(mdl 66) can chamber and shoot .38, .38 long, .38spl, 9mm and .357.

Typically we only shoot .38spl and .357 in our revolvers that are chambered for .357...so the cylinder is designed for that.

Pretty sure, not 100%, but because those “tight chambers” are designed to shoot .357 and require a tighter chamber than say a revolver chambered for .38spl(mdl 36)...

Reaming out the cylinder is only making your revolver(.357, mdl 66) a long cylindered .38spl....I bet accuracy suffers with .357 and probably won’t improve .38spl.

i bet if you measure the cylinder chamber of any revolver, the entry will be bigger than the exit...because it’s designed that way. So reaming, especially the exit end, prolly not good.

Just my thoughts tho.
      “I will not comply”

Comment

• Lurker66
        Lurker66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep I read the post wrong. I seen metal shavings n reamer thought Hes effing it up.

I thought he said he got a reamer from work and was reaming the entire chamber.

So I called him to tell him he’s a dumbass...now I eat crow, got egg on my face and stuck my foot in my mouth all at once.

• Dieselwrench
        Dieselwrench commented
        Editing a comment
        That's not unusual.

• turkeyrun
        turkeyrun commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaa

What did they all mic after you got done. .345 is way tote for that gun. No way it should have been able to leave the factory that tight.

Comment

• Eyecyou
        Eyecyou commented
        Editing a comment
        The .357 pilot bushing now slides in with 0 wiggle side to side. I only ever noticed a sticking when i loaded 357 due to the longer cartridge.

In lurkers defense he knows ive access to lots of machine tools and also knows ive gone after firearms with dremmels before! But in this scenario i did get some actual gunsmith advice and direction before attempting
      "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Comment

• turkeyrun
        turkeyrun commented
        Editing a comment
        If people weren't willing to try something,......

Plus, you didn't put a hole in your window screen.
        Last edited by turkeyrun; 05-23-2021, 08:04 PM.

• Hi-Point Bobby
        Hi-Point Bobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me know how it shoots. I am not sure why Lurker is so concerned about you screwing something up. He will be trying to con you into doing his next week.

• Lurker66
        Lurker66 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve been waiting fir him to lose interest in revolvers and go back to 1911s...I don’t want a butchered up 686.

Originally posted by Eyecyou View Post
      In lurkers defense he knows ive access to lots of machine tools and also knows ive gone after firearms with dremmels before! But in this scenario i did get some actual gunsmith advice and direction before attempting
      Thanks for the save but tell them what you really said “if I screw it up, I’ll sell it to DieselWrench and beg Sunshine to buy me another one.”
      “I will not comply”

Comment

• Eyecyou
        Eyecyou commented
        Editing a comment
        That was said in confidence!! Lol

• turkeyrun
        turkeyrun commented
        Editing a comment
        Too Lurker!

• Lurker66
        Lurker66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I thought you meant say it confidently.
    Working...
    X