Advise me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise me

Bought a flat top upper, to replace the carry handle upper on my M4.

Do I need an action vice to support the upper, while removing barrel? Anybody have a vice? Any tricks, secrets, or gotchas to watch out for?

Help!

" most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Poor people have poor ways. I just did what I had to do to get it apart. I didn't care about scratches.

Comment

• Dieselwrench
      Dieselwrench commented
      Editing a comment
      The hammer might be a tad overkill.

• turkeyrun
      turkeyrun commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an 8#, not 16#

• Dieselwrench
      Dieselwrench commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't use a hammer but I've got sasquatch strength, so....

" I didn't use a hammer but I've got sasquatch stench, so.... "

I know
    " most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Comment

• Dieselwrench
      Dieselwrench commented
      Editing a comment
      You're lucky there's no smell option on this thing. I'd run the dogs of a gut wagon tonight.

• turkeyrun
      turkeyrun commented
      Editing a comment
      LoL

I have never had to use a vice block to get a barrel nut loose. Sometimes I have had to whack the AR tool pretty hard with a light weight brass hammer to get it to break loose but thats usually on a DPMS which seems to be a little tighter than the others I have dealt with. Use antisieze going back together with it.

Comment

• turkeyrun
      turkeyrun commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a DPMS

• beastep
      beastep commented
      Editing a comment
      It really shouldnt give you much problem. I just put in a 30 round mag and lay it on the floor. If it dont come loose real easy just give it a few whacks with a light hammer. Just a little jolt to break it loose. The TQ on those is like 30-75ft lbs so it could be real easy to pretty tight.

• Lurker66
      Lurker66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wut he said.

I got all the crap for building one if you decide you can’t do it with the tools you got. But I suspect you probably can.

Comment

Ah just jam a 8 inch piece of 1x2 in the lower reciever and torque away
      "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
      X