458 Socom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

458 Socom

I've been wanting a 458 Socom for pig hunting but just couldn't justify the cost. I started assembling parts about three months ago and finally got the critical items in hand.
    A 458 receiver was pretty pricey so I elected to go with an Anderson 556 receiver and do the machine work necessary to get it to pass the 458 case. A lot of reading on line
    led me to the fact that the ejection port on the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowolf are pretty much the same. Having a Beowolf in the safe made it easy to take the measurements
    and set up the milling machine to make the cuts. Really simple, the actual machine setup took longer than the operation. (I have a manual mill)
    The 458 Socom was designed to replace the standard 556 upper without any other changes to the lower / buffer system. I added a fairly significant brake to reduce recoil.
    I'm currently loading 35.5 grains of IMR-4198 behind a Speer 350 Grain JSP.

I didn't put a dust cover on the receiver although I could, it will still handle one after the milling operation. I did put the forward assist in the receiver just in case. And, this is
    configured as a takedown rifle.
    Here is the ejection port opened to allow 458 Socom brass to pass. The rifle in its finished state A standard 30 round mag holds 11 458 Socom, I limit it to 10 rounds
    My Sig self identifies as a slingshot, therefore if you don't let it in a gun free zone you are a biggot and a Racist

Thats pretty dang sweet man. I have to do a few more ARs and then Im going to have to think about something like a 458. Maybe a 450. I rally havent looked into the big bore ARs much.

Comment

Blitz, D. Hargrove just built a .458 Socom, too. He was telling me about it just the other day. Maybe he'll be along soon and y'all can compare notes....

Comment

• blitzfike
        blitzfike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks MM, I'll look forward to comparing notes on this project. It was a lot of fun.

I have a Beowolf, but wanted to emulate my Marlin 45-70 as closely as I could in an AR. I can exceed the lighter loads for the 45-70 with this. Next step is to start powder coating hard cast bullets to load for it. I believe I can cut the cost of shooting it a bunch that way.
      My Sig self identifies as a slingshot, therefore if you don't let it in a gun free zone you are a biggot and a Racist

Comment

• beastep
        beastep commented
        Editing a comment
        Use good powder, not Harbor Freight, and dont use black.

I'm all ears when it comes to powder coating. Any info is greatly appreciated beastep. Thanks

Comment

off to the rack... Later

Comment

Just what Ive already told you and use a plastic coffee can with powder in it to shake the slugs in. Use rubber gloves dipped in powder to remove the slugs and set up to coat. Not much else to it.

Comment

And I been up since 2am so Im looking at the same thing myself.

Comment

Good luck Blitz.

Comment

Thanks.. Which brand powder do you prefer for this beastep? Got a good source?

Comment

• beastep
                  beastep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HotCoat from Eastwood works pretty good. My buddy that works in a welding shop uses some brand they get in bulk in 50lb bags and Im not sure what brand it is. Id have to ask him. But some black contains silica which acts as an abrasive so its a good rule to just stay away from black.

I just finished a 458 build using a barrel & bolt from Tromix. Have yet to shoot it because, like a bonehead, I failed to pay attention to my custom handguard length, and it extends about 3/4 an inch past the start of the muzzle brake. Not sure if the amount of pressure will damage it or not...

Comment

• D.Hargrove
                  D.Hargrove commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My 458 has a fair bit of pressure to it, I personally would not risk your custom handguards.. Not as bad as a 90mm recoilless, but no .270 either.

• Eyecyou
                  Eyecyou commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Slap on a forward facing myzzle device and goto town. Kak makes a knock off flaming pig for like 30 bucks

• }BuLL
                  }BuLL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Brake is supposed to be pinned/welded due to the barrel being 14.5", but I can't see where it was done. I may need to contact Tromix.
                  Another option I am considering is to grind a curve into the sides of the guard...not sure if that would be smart tho. Of course the guard was already cerakoted with a one off pattern to match the upper. Quite a pickle I've got myself in.

I want a 44mag , 44 auto mag or 45 Winchester mag in a AR. Should be better than the Auto Mag I had.

Comment

Originally posted by }BuLL View Post
                  I just finished a 458 build using a barrel & bolt from Tromix. Have yet to shoot it because, like a bonehead, I failed to pay attention to my custom handguard length, and it extends about 3/4 an inch past the start of the muzzle brake. Not sure if the amount of pressure will damage it or not...
                  I have some pics around here somewhere of some destroyed hand guards on account of obstructing part of the brake. I would not risk it.

I noticed I am late to the party. What did you decide to do and how do you like it. The only thing keeping me from one is the pricey brass and thought of tossing it in the weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Point Bobby View Post

I have some pics around here somewhere of some destroyed hand guards on account of obstructing part of the brake. I would not risk it.

I noticed I am late to the party. What did you decide to do and how do you like it. The only thing keeping me from one is the pricey brass and thought of tossing it in the weeds.
                    Thanks for the info. I haven't decided yet, it is still sitting in the safe. Most likely I will have someone cut a U in each side of the hand guard. I will see if I can snap some pics once we get done moving.

Comment

Working...
                    X