.38 Wadcutters for self defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.38 Wadcutters for self defense

"Shoot low men, they're riding Shetlands." Jack Latimer.
    "Coincedence is God's way of remaining anonymous." Albert Einstein
    "Epstein didn't kill himself." Everyone.

Yes. Everybody likes good penetration!
    "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain
    NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
    Ride Em' Cowboys! -- Oklahoma State #1

Comment

• turkeyrun
      turkeyrun commented
      Editing a comment
      and a nice, clean, round hole

A buddy load some .357 Maximum with hollow base wadcutters. Some, he put the bullet in nose down. Made a wicked looking HP. On targets, they were good to 25 yards. At 50, they lost velocity drastically and shot a 15" pattern. Took them out and shot a goat, about 90# Billy. High it dead center of ribs, nice clean hole. Opposite side had a softball size hole.

Hell yea! Sure they will dead you too!

Last edited by Mr.Glock; 12-10-2020, 09:09 PM.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may know peace.
    Thomas Paine 1776

You have me confused with a man that puts up with women's shit!

Comment

Yes why dont I put wheels on my mother and call her a bicycle?

because that would be retarded like using wad cutters for self defense.

Comment

• turkeyrun
        turkeyrun commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, nobody ever got dead from being hit with a soft lead bullet.

You should call your Mom a bicycle, she been rode more than Spread Eagle.

• The Devil
        The Devil commented
        Editing a comment
        yea especially by me. I learned moves only a mother could teach. Oedipus was a genius.

• mtnboomer
        mtnboomer commented
        Editing a comment
        "yea especially by me."

Once again, that explains a lot. Your family tree likely has no limbs.

I don’t want to get shot by one.

Comment

• Mr.Glock
        Mr.Glock commented
        Editing a comment
        Me either!

Ive been loading 38 wadcutters for a while now and have carried em in my 637 airweight. Seen a while back barnes makes a JACKETED hollow base wad cutter that could definitely with stand some hotter power behind it
      "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Comment

I have a back porch 38 wc recipe I load that is less recoil than a 22lr. Don’t recall off the top of my head but something like 1.6-7 gr unique. I’d have to go look for sure so don’t quote me on it. But anyway within it’s paltry range it is rat killing accurate.

Comment

• turkeyrun
          turkeyrun commented
          Editing a comment
          That is VERY light.

A typical target load is 4.6-5.0 gr of Unique.

I have loaded down to 3.5, but never have loaded less.

• TOOF
          TOOF commented
          Editing a comment
          Like I said I wasn’t sure. But I think they were in the 550 fps range. Maybe 2.5 or 3.5, I don’t recall and don’t feel like going to look and I don’t want to get shot by one either.

• turkeyrun
          turkeyrun commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep

A Red Ryder shoots @ 350-375 fps and a BB is is ~17grs.
          I don't want to shot that either. Though, we had several BB gun wars.

Soft lead projectiles has killed more things worldwide than Noah’s Flood.
        “I will not comply”

Comment

Years back it was a fad to load hollow-base wadcutters backwards in a case. The idea was that they would become hollow points with a huge cavity and make good defense loads.

They called them "flying ashtrays" because the large mouth reminded everyone of an ashtray (remember: this was the '60s and '70s so smoking was still socially acceptable).

The fad died off when ballistic gelatin gained common use as they saw that the "wings" on the hollow bases would either break off, or fold back flat, upon impact basically making them a full wadcutter.
          "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain
          NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
          Ride Em' Cowboys! -- Oklahoma State #1

Comment

Working...
          X