X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found on another forum

Looks like a project for ECU or DW

Maybe the RnG Challenge?
    Very obscure and not well know wildcat, but I'm convinced it is one of the most versatile cartridges ever created.

Let me explain.

Essentially you convert a 12 gauge slug gun into a big bore rifle. You do this by using a very slow rifle powder (to keep pressure low) and brass 12 gauge hulls. There are some stipulations though. The brass shells must be thicker than normal stamped hulls, meaning they are lathe turned. And the shotgun has to be beefy. A bolt action savage and an H&R ultra slug (which is what I'm using) are great choices. The savage can take quite a bit more pressure than the H&R, but they are harder to find and more expensive. The chamber needs lengthened to 3.5" (or 3.85" for the savage). With the slow burning powder you get insane velocities and muzzle energy. One load calls for 240 grains of H50bmg and shoots a 600g solid at over 2500fps. We are talking similar if not more energy than a 700 nitro express. The beauty is, since it's just a lengthened chamber, you can still load up conventional 12 gauge ammunition and hunt squirrels one day to any game on earth the next. This also prevents this build from being classified as a destructive device by the ATF since its still technically a shotgun.

I just got the ball rolling on the build so it will take some time to get it completed. The majority of the wait is for the hulls which are made to order by RMC.

While I can use slugs, I wanted something more purpose built with better ballistics than a hunk of lead. So I contacted Lehigh Defense about some custom projectiles. I am having two types made. A .729" (bore diameter so no sabots) 600 grain copper bullet and a 1085 grain solid copper bullet designed for max penetration. I think we are going with their extreme penetrator/extreme defense design for the rounds. They should be absolutely devastating on game.

So far my costs are

$450 for gun
    $150-$300 for chamber job (estimate)
    $285 for 20 3.5" hulls ($105 for 10 + reloading kit)

The bullets are a very pricey endeavor however and I will post my correspondence with the engineer when I get home.

Super excited for this to come full circle. I love big bores more than I can say. A 700 nitro express can run a guy well over $100k. This is a fraction of the cost and is waaay mor versatile. I have honestly never been so excited about a cartridge in all my life.
    " most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

That sounds like fun!!! Sign me up
    "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Comment

DAYUM! Talk about losing the fillings in your teeth and getting detached retinas!
      "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain
      NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
      Ride Em' Cowboys! -- Oklahoma State #1

Comment

He has a YouTube vid, shooting 4 rounds with 1028gr bullet over 210 gr of b50mg. Recoil is something like 220 ft pounds.

Said he had a severe headache for 12 hours.
        " most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Comment

I ride a motorcycle in the city. I subject myself to enough stupidity without taking this thing on. It sounds cool, but I'm not that into pain.

Comment

Nope, I’ve shot a .72 caliber muzzle loader, loaded fairly hot. Nope, it’s a dumb painful idea.
            “I will not comply”

Comment

Actually, it sounds a lot like what is known as the "12-gauge from Hell." It's a specially set up shotgun that fires heavy, soft lead, slugs that's used to knock the slag off the inside of giant foundry kettles.
              "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain

Comment

• turkeyrun
                turkeyrun commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. It is

https://youtu.be/MOZerYDms-o

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114051_Messages.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	125729

Comment

Aaaaaaand boner
                  "The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!" MC Billy Sunday

Comment

It makes that .45-70 look wimpy

Comment

Originally posted by turkeyrun View Post
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114051_Messages.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	125729
                      That causes me shoulder pain just looking at it!

Comment

You never know when a T-Rex may attack

Comment

I like big bores as much as anybody but there is no way I would shoot that thing for fun and there is nothing I will ever need to kill that requires that round.

Comment

• turkeyrun
                            turkeyrun commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I concur

Many years ago, there was a shotshell made by Activ. It was a 12ga 3" that was equivalent of a 3 1/2" 10ga.

I goose and turkey hunted with them. A 1 7/8 oz load of BB. I have shot a turkey at an honest 80 yrds and 3 pellets completely penetrated front to back.

I had limited out on geese. My buddy had none. His Winchester Double X 2s would not reach.

I gave him some shells and he proceeded to get some geese.

A couple shy of his limit, the geese quit coming in
                            We picked up and started to the truck. I seen a couple coming our way and started calling. They turned and came right over us.

He never fired. I asked why he didnt shoot. He said, " I just wasnt pissed off enough at them to
                            take the beating those ass kicking shells you
                            shoot were going to give me. "

I still have a couple boxes.

Nope.
                          “I will not comply”

Comment

• turkeyrun
                            turkeyrun commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It would be perfect for you. Even though the bullet missed, the concussion would knock the deer down.
                        Working...
                        X