Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future of food stamps and snap cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Real Wisconsin cheese and butter. The Feds are already buying it as price support for the dairy farmers. Dried beans and noodles, cans of stewed beef and chicken, etc. My sister got the Chickasaw commodities after her dead beat huaband abandoned her and his two small children 25 years ago and she couldn’t keep up on a teachers salary. It was all good basic food. I’ve eaten plenty of it. I think it’s a great idea, it will slow people selling or trading their food stamps away. I used to work in the grocery industry and you can’t imagine how many folks are abusing or defrauding the food stamp card.
    Last edited by Briarcreekguy; 02-14-2018, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel View Post
      I’d sign up for some comods. Put on some dark sun glasses and a cowboy hat to cover up my delicate identity.
      You know I'm in....again.
      Live, Love and Laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by Briarcreekguy View Post
        Yep. Real Wisconsin cheese and butter. The Feds are already buying it as price support for the dairy farmers. Dried beans and noodles, cans of stewed beef and chicken, etc. My sister got the Chickasaw commodities after her dead bear huaband abandoned her and his two small children 25 years ago and she couldn’t keep up on a teachers salary. It was all good basic food. I’ve eaten plenty of it. I think it’s a great idea, it will slow people selling or trading their food stamps away. I used to work in the grocery industry and you can’t imagine how many folks are abusing or defrauding the food stamp card.
        I think it'd be a great idea. IDC how smart their phone is or how big their TV, but eating commodities taught me if I wanted to eat better, I hadda work.
        Live, Love and Laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by AirPowMech View Post
          Reading different articles comments the common complaints are "I have a special diet"; "It will be humiliating" and "What about the ones that can't cook?"
          The ones that can't cook? Avoiding starvation is a pretty damn good motive for learning. It really isn't that difficult.
          If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month. -- Theodore Roosevelt

There's hardly anything some big ol' melons can't make better. -- Tedkennedy

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

She was no cook--she was an arsonist. -- Alfred Hitchcock

Comment

• turkeyrun
            turkeyrun commented
            Editing a comment
            Ask Terry

• Miguel
            Miguel commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha at TR.

• TerryMiller
            TerryMiller commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey!! In a pinch, I can now cook eggs, bacon, sausage, make toast.

(Heat up TV dinners.)

Hell I would like to see it. Be a damn sight better than the way it is now. I don't think Walmart would let it happen though. Imagine how much money is spent there in the first three days of the month. And it is on the high margin junk food. There is more pop and t bone steaks and shimp sold in the first three days than there is the rest of the month.

Comment

And maybe someone can explain to me why I should work to feed someone else? The problem ain't abuse of the "system" - the problem is in the principle of stealing from a producer to give to a non-producer.

Comment

• turkeyrun
              turkeyrun commented
              Editing a comment
              Abuse will always exist. I would gladly support commodity boxes over food stamps or SNAP

WIC, at least, specifies what cam be purchased.

Go hang out around a Food Pantry on distribution day. Want to see some abuse.

• Tedkennedy
              Tedkennedy commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're OK with thugs stealing your earnings to give to WIC. But not OK with stealing your taxes to hand out cash cards, etc.. Is that correct?

• turkeyrun
              turkeyrun commented
              Editing a comment
              Not ok with either, but WIC is set up to feed children under the age of 5 and specifies what can be bought. It somewhat limits abuse, but there is a certain type that will try to work the system. School lunch program is no different.

The biggest problem is the theft of taxes, leads to implementation of overpaid beaurocrats to oversee the program.

Subsidies and bailouts are total BS, regardless of whether farm or corporate.

It is slippery slope that started with the Indian Bureau and will not change without starting from a clean slate.

It’s the new norm. People have been ‘trained’ to believe this is a constitutional right.

Comment

Dang TK, yer schooling me. I used to have good arguments for the poor lazy folks, I've lost my touch.
              Live, Love and Laugh...

Comment

• Tedkennedy
                Tedkennedy commented
                Editing a comment
                Some folks are born poor. Some folks don't feed their kids. Taking care of those is what decent folks do, and something Christ commands, I believe.

The state forcing us to give up our wages so they can decide who should get benefits is theft. No one here would approve of their earnings being used to fund anti-gun groups. Lotsa folks on other forums wouldn't want their money going to the NRA.

If I, or anyone else earns a buck, it oughtta be MY decision how much and where any part of that buck is spent. It's not about whether the recipient is good/bad/needy, it's about the principle that what you earn is yours.

• Lurker66
                Lurker66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. I agree.

I agree with much of what TK says, however, keep in mind that the farmer and rancher has one great big disadvantage. They are NOT able to sell their grain or cattle for a price that they choose. They have to take what the "other guy" offers, and what those offers are based on are the commodity prices, which are arbitrary, depending on what some idiot that may not even be in agriculture "thinks" the price of grain or livestock will do in the future.
              Originally posted by Lurker66;n20266
              Even though I believe in God, I've always taken the opposite to create discussion.

Originally posted by Lurker66;n69610
              Good luck ol bud, keep us posted. I'll do my best to to keep TM n Mtnboomer riled up.

Terry's Smugmug Photo Site

Comment

• turkeyrun
                turkeyrun commented
                Editing a comment
                Apples and oranges

Farmers deal with brokers. Broker sets the price. Then broker sets the price at which the sell. Producer and consumer get screwed. Farmer's Markets and road side stands, cut the middleman and allow both an equal shot.

Wally World operates as a broker. It has worked for several years, but people are finally getting tired of buying cheap crap and demanding quality.

• Lurker66
                Lurker66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Man we've got ourself into a mess. Ain't no way to fix this crap cept to burn it down an start over.

• turkeyrun
                turkeyrun commented
                Editing a comment
                I concur, Ole buddy

We're screwed and going to be depending a bunch of Millenials to set future policy. And they think Pukelosi is genius.

Ain’t nobody forcing those farmers and ranchers to play by that game. It’s their blister. They can sit on it.

Comment

Ponder this.

Comment

And this for all those farmers and ranchers who sold their soles to the bankers.

Comment

• turkeyrun
                    turkeyrun commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sold EVERYBODY on the thought of instant gratification. Buy NOW, pay later.

Even better, buy now, file bancrupcy and never pay.

The problem I see, government will find a way to make this more expensive than the current system.

Comment

TK, I strongly disagree with your assertion that these extremely popular bipartisan-supported programs that help the most vulnerable among us are theft. That implies they are taking our money by stealth or deceit. Extortion or armed robbery are much more accurate labels.

I agree with abolishing the entire welfare state... but if we have to have it, food boxes aren't the way. It will take all sorts of people to plan, source, assemble, and deliver them, all of whom are drawing a gov't paycheck as well, and costing productive people even more money. The status quo, with all the various programs, all with their own staff and bureaucracy, isn't the way either. If you've got to have a welfare state, the way to do it is to cut one check per year to each beneficiary in the amount of all total current benefits, and get rid of all these different programs and agencies, along with all of their staff and bureaucracy (who can then be offered the opportunity to find productive and rewarding employment in the private sector).

Comment

• Tedkennedy
                      Tedkennedy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey man, I was trying to be inclusive. Most tax cattle are being deceived so armed robbery and extortion haven't even crossed their minds.

Remember, you have to tailor your speech to accommodate the audience; in this case the American Taxpayer.

• turkeyrun
                      turkeyrun commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those unemployed and or disabled recipients are the ones employed to unload, sort, assemble, and deliver. That ' training ' nets skills to enter the private market, at a higher wage and create an opening for another.

Same with other ' goobermint ' jobs. No welfare, but the WPA. Work for food.

• Tedkennedy
                      Tedkennedy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WPA huh? That was for a different generation, and still cost a ton of money. Had WWII not distracted us, FDR's welfare state would have been recognized for what it was a lot earlier.

I understand your good intentions, but welfare/workfare doesn't work that way.

Originally posted by Miguel View Post
                    Ain’t nobody forcing those farmers and ranchers to play by that game. It’s their blister. They can sit on it.
                    Well, here's a thought for you. As a kid (think late '50's early '60's), I remember a bushel of wheat would get the farmer $2.00. Fast forward to the mid '80's, and as a manager of a country elevator, I remember seeing wheat prices at or very near to the same $2.00. But, you can be guaranteed that while wheat didn't have any inflation, all the products that the farmer bought to produce that wheat was inflated over all those years.

Second thought, where are you going to get your food if the farmers and ranchers "quit playing that game?" Or, will you be like the Senator's wife in D.C. during the '70's farm strike that said, "I'll just go to the store and buy it." There was a clueless woman.
                    Originally posted by Lurker66;n20266
                    Even though I believe in God, I've always taken the opposite to create discussion.

Originally posted by Lurker66;n69610
                    Good luck ol bud, keep us posted. I'll do my best to to keep TM n Mtnboomer riled up.

Terry's Smugmug Photo Site

Comment

• Tedkennedy
                      Tedkennedy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So wheat prices suck. You should've started growing mari - nevermind.
                      Last edited by Tedkennedy; 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM.

• Miguel
                      Miguel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Still nobody forcing them.
                  Working...
                  X