Hay Hauling question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Hauling question...

Was talkin with a fella bout hauling square bales in back of a half ton pickup, 8 foot bed, tailgate dropped.

said they would stack 8 bales as a base in 8 foot bed. Then stack 9 on top of that, then 9 more on top of that...hauling about 26 bales.

Was talking and he said ya can’t do that with today’s half ton trucks, said it breaks springs and most ya can get is 10-12.

My question is; do y’all remember how bales was stacked or how many?

I remember hauling 20-25 depending on front wheels or how much bales weighed. We got $0.25 a ton.
    “I will not comply”

Originally posted by Lurker66 View Post
    Was talking and he said ya can’t do that with today’s half ton trucks, said it breaks springs and most ya can get is 10-12.
    That's old thinking by an old guy who hasn't been paying attention to what half-tons have become capable of doing over the last 20 years. A half-ton today is more capable than a 3/4-ton or even lower-end 1-tons of the '90s. Back then, if you needed to haul a heavy load, you bought a bigger truck. Now you only do it if you need to haul heavy loads regularly. Hell, my dad's new F-150 has a payload rating of 2,036lbs, so it is, effectively, a 1-ton truck.

A normal small square of Midland99 bermudagrass hay runs about 40-50lbs. 26 bales at ~50lb each would be about 1300lbs, which is well under the payload rating of all but a few half-tons.

FWIW, my dad once hauled 50 bales in the bed of his '70 F-100. He didn't haul it very far (though he did have to get out on the county road to get from the pasture to the barn), but he did haul it. That's a pretty good load, as five layers high on his 16' trailer is 100 bales. He said he drove very carefully, as he didn't want to have to re-load them--my grandpa baled hay for himself, so his bales were usually closer to 80lbs...
    If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month. -- Theodore Roosevelt

[A]ll the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no." — Rorschach, Watchmen

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

She was no cook--she was an arsonist. -- Alfred Hitchcock

Comment

• Lurker66
      Lurker66 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what we used, F100 ranger xlt and a 68 Chevy, then we had a 50’s International 1 ton....Gawd the memories of buckin hay.

Prolly didn’t have no working shocks on any of em.

We always stacked them to overlap the cab, and a ways over the windshield. You could get 3 layers high easily, and with
    wet bales, they could be 75-80 lbs. It was a load, but the old F150 did a lot of those loads. My Tundra is rated at 1800lbs,
    could handle at least 24 bales at 75 lbs without problems. I have had over a ton of firewood in it several times.

Comment

Older trucks have some advantages, power, payload, and towing are not any of them.

Comment

I was think we did 4 layers, that’d almost bring front wheels up and make steering “hairy”.
        “I will not comply”

Comment

You can't haul as many bales on a new half-ton (actually 5/8 now) pickup as you could on an older truck.

Why?

Because none of them have 8-foot beds any more!
          "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain
          NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
          Ride Em' Cowboys! -- Oklahoma State #1

Comment

• Lurker66
            Lurker66 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s what he said

• Hi-Point Bobby
            Hi-Point Bobby commented
            Editing a comment
            My grandpa bailed for a lot of different people and his sons would haul it and they would pay us grandkids to load and stack. I think they got paid a quarter a bail for the haul. Grandkids might have got fed and 29 bucks for a weekends worth of work.

We always had to haul them so far it was on a 16 foot trailer full and then the bed flush with the top of the cab. I cant remember how many we would haul on a load. We eventually went to stacking them on a 32 foot gooseneck. About the time I graduated from high school they switched to round bales.

Comment

• Lurker66
            Lurker66 commented
            Editing a comment
            Man we didn’t have no trailers back then, couldn’t afford extra tires lol

We used an old '58 GMC C60 (iirc) 16' flat bed, oil field truck.

Stacked 8 bales high. We got a nickel a bale. Don't miss them days, at all. Many, many years ago.

Most bales were 75-80#. Bermuda was 50#. Some of them lld guys would mow and bale the ditches. That Johnson grass would be 100# a bale, those cut stalks sharp as a razor.

Last small bales I got, had 16 bales in my 06 F-150 short bed. I can easily put 30 bales in my 2 horse trailer.

Just do round bales now, use the self-loathing bale buggy.
          Last edited by turkeyrun; 01-13-2021, 11:57 AM.
          " most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Comment

I moved 60 bales of hay, up to 16 bales a time in a '04 Dodge Durango once. It was 8 bales inside and 8 stacked on the roof.

Comment

Where there is will, there is an idget that will try

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...en-dumbes1-jpg

" most of the people you come across are good people. Those others are why you have a .45 and a shotgun. " Wyatt Earp

Comment

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/ecda3k/blu...ran-ecda3k.jpg

Comment

Comment

When I was a kid we had a Chevy C60 two-ton with a 16' bed. Since we had a dairy farm, we tried to buy high-grade hay, usually alfalfa (we raised our own sudan hay).

Once a week we'd take off from Davenport and head north to Fairfax, OK, where we bought hay. We could stack 205 bales on the truck. We could get more, but then we wouldn't fit under the steel bridge between Fairfax and Ralston!
                    "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." - Mark Twain
                    NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
                    Ride Em' Cowboys! -- Oklahoma State #1

Comment

A nickel a bale or quarter a bale....we got $0.25 a ton split 3 ways. Driver, bucker and stacker. Sure was glad when my uncle hired some mexicans and all I did was drive and open gates.
                      “I will not comply”

Comment

• turkeyrun
                        turkeyrun commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We had 4 way split. The TRUCK got a take, for gas and repairs.
                    Working...
                    X